luni, 18 martie 2013

My old books...

I've taken the below photos some time ago, but saved them on M's computer and forgot where they were. A few days back I found them and decided to share...
I thaught about this children's book for some time now, and then when I went home to Raca I looked for it, and found it.
When I was a kid I always thaught the cartoons on it were grotesque and plain ugly, but now that I see it with my grown-up eyes I can trully see the beauty, as it is very original.

 I have it since forever, and it has no covers, they were torn eigther by me or my sister, and my grandma sew the pages together...so I have no idea of the name, or editor...and that only adds to its mistery...the images are wonderful, though...
Then there is a book I received from an old guy...I don't even remember where he lived...I only know that my friend Ena found out from the papers or something about an old guy who sold his books very cheap and we both went to see what we could find. I remember going home with more books than I could carry, as Ena helped me carry my "capture"...and among them there was this:

...the fifth volume of the "Memoiren" of Jacob Casanova. I have to admit I never read it, as it is in German, and that wouldn't be so bad if only it wouldn't be written in Gothic letters...and so it is hard to read...
..it is a beautiful hardcover....
...like only in the nineteenth century (in fact the book itself, I made some research- and it was edited at about 1890!I still have to search some more, to see if that's true about my edition...)you could still find. I have to say that the quality of the book went down after 1970, at least in our country, and I think that is due to the fact that quantity prevailed over quality. It's still not such a bad thing, as I am proud that Romanians read, and read alot.
 just look at the quality of the pages, the beauty of the engravings...
 Then there would be this Latin- Romanian dictionary...
 As usual for such old books, the year was not written, but I researched alot and found out that it was edited in 1918 by the H.Goldmer printers, and mine is the third edition, and not very easy to find. This dictionary also has a story of how it got to me, and as I love all my books so much, I know each and everyone's story of  how and where from I bough them...so, I bought this dictionary in 2010 from an online second-hand bookshop, and I took it home in my big library. In the meantime I started studying Latin, and I needed a dictionary, but completely forgot about the one at home...so I bought another one, which is not that old as this one, but still was expensive for a second-hand book...and now I have two Latin dictionaries, but this one is really worth mentioning...as it is old and precious!
 the previous owners added some words on the covers, and as there are more writing styles, I assume they all belong to different users....so my dictionary has some history...

I think this will do for today, I still have some more photos of some beautiful old books to show you; and of course I've saved the best for last...
And I also want to be able to translate this page into Romanian, so that my Romanian-speaking readres may understand it easier.
So, until next time,
Bisous!


I know I'm late...and I know I forgot...but I trully want to wish a Happy St. Patrick's to everyone!
source
 




Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu